Madison Felony Lawyer & Criminal Defense Attorney
When facing felony charges, your life and your future are at stake. The severity of felony convictions can lead to life-altering consequences, including substantial prison sentences, hefty fines, and a lifelong impact on personal and professional opportunities.
As an experienced Madison felony defense attorney with over two decades of legal experience, I understand the intricacies of Wisconsin’s legal system and can provide the aggressive, knowledgeable legal representation you need to protect your rights and fight for the best possible outcome.
If you or a loved one is charged with a felony in Wisconsin, get the strong legal representation you deserve. I encourage you to call Avena Law Office today to schedule a FREE CONSULTATION, where we can discuss your case and explore your options.
I am dedicated to tenaciously advocating for my clients, seeking dismissals and reduced charges and penalties whenever possible. I am also a dedicated advocate in seeking a not guilty verdict if a case goes to trial.
Let me put my experience and expertise to work for you – call my office now and take the first step toward securing the best possible outcome for your case.
What Common Crimes Are Felonies in Wisconsin?
Felony charges in Wisconsin encompass a wide range of offenses, including :
- Kidnapping and False Imprisonment
- Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs
- Drug Possession and Drug Crimes
- Possession of Stolen Goods
- Possession of child pornography
- Hit-and-run resulting in death
- Vehicular homicide
- Fleeing police
- Substantial battery (also referred to as aggravated battery)
If you are facing any of these charges, please call us for a free consultation. With years of experience defending clients against felony charges, I will work tirelessly to build a strong defense and tenaciously advocate for your rights.
What Are the Penalties For Felony Charges in Wisconsin?
In Wisconsin, felonies are categorized into nine classes, each with different penalties.
- Class A felonies, the most serious, include first-degree murder and are punishable by life imprisonment.
- Class B felonies, such as first-degree sexual intercourse with a child younger than 13 and sexual assault, carry up to 60 years imprisonment.
- Class C felonies, including armed robbery and sexual exploitation of a child, can result in up to 40 years imprisonment and up to $100,000 in fines.
- Class D felonies, like possession of child pornography and hit-and-run resulting in death, are punishable by up to 25 years imprisonment and up to $100,000 in fines.
- Class E felonies, such as carjacking and aggravated burglary, carry up to 15 years imprisonment and up to $50,000 in fines.
- Class F felonies, including sedition and theft over $100,000, are punishable by up to 12.5 years imprisonment and up to $25,000 in fines.
- Class G felonies, like negligent vehicular homicide and straw purchasing of firearms, can result in up to 10 years imprisonment and up to $25,000 in fines.
- Class H felonies, including strangulation and extortion, carry up to 6 years imprisonment and up to $10,000 in fines.
- Class I felonies, such as fleeing police and aggravated battery, are punishable by up to 3.5 years imprisonment and up to $10,000 in fines.
Beyond these classifications, Wisconsin law also imposes felony sentencing enhancements for certain offenders who commit repeat or violent felonies.
Can Felony Sentencing Be Enhanced in Wisconsin?
In addition to the penalties associated with each class of felony, Wisconsin law also allows for sentencing enhancements under certain circumstances. These enhancements can increase the maximum total sentence allowed, impose mandatory minimum sentences, or prohibit probation. For instance, repeat offenders or those who commit violent crimes in a school zone may be subject to enhanced penalties.
With the stakes so high, if you’ve been charged with a serious crime, you are likely seeking one of the best felony defense attorneys in Wisconsin for representation. As a Madison felony criminal defense lawyer with decades of legal experience, I am committed to tenaciously fighting for my clients, working diligently to secure reduced charges, minimized penalties, or even complete dismissals. With over 20 years of legal experience and a deep understanding of the Wisconsin legal system, I invite you to call me as soon as possible to discuss your case. Trust in my expertise and dedication to protect your rights and navigate the complex landscape of felony charges.
Does Wisconsin Offer Reduced Prison Sentences for Good Behavior?
Wisconsin’s unique sentencing structure does not allow inmates to earn credits for good behavior, meaning that most offenders will serve their entire sentence. With such inflexible sentencing provisions, it is critical to have an experienced felony lawyer fighting on your behalf to secure the best possible outcome in your case.
How Can an Experienced Madison Felony Criminal Defense Lawyer Help With My Felony Charge?
I understand the complexities of the legal system and the challenges individuals face when dealing with felony charges. My primary goal is to provide you with tenacious legal representation and work tirelessly on your behalf to achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
When you entrust your case to me, you can expect:
- Comprehensive case analysis. I will carefully review the evidence and circumstances surrounding your case, identify potential weaknesses in the prosecution’s case, and develop a strategic defense plan tailored to your unique situation.
- Skilled negotiation. In some cases, I may be able to negotiate with the prosecution to have a charge dismissed or reduced, or to secure a favorable plea agreement. My experience and knowledge of the Wisconsin legal system enable me to effectively advocate for your interests during these critical negotiations.
- Aggressive courtroom representation. If your case goes to trial, I will meticulously present your defense, challenge the prosecution’s evidence, and tirelessly fight for your rights.
- Personalized attention and support. I understand that facing felony charges can be an incredibly stressful and overwhelming experience. As a felony attorney, I will be by your side every step of the way, providing you with the guidance, support, and information you need to navigate this challenging process.
Do not hesitate to take action and protect your future. If you or a loved one is facing felony charges in Wisconsin, call my office today at 608-271-2271 to schedule a FREE CONSULTATION. Together, we will discuss your case and explore the options available to you. Let me put my experience, dedication, and tenacious legal representation to work for you.